A SHORT PHOTO HISTORY OF THE SCOTS CHURCH ROTTERDAM.

Most of the pictures are from the website of the Community-archives Rotterdam.
The pictures of the ministers are made by Tom Prosť.

 

 

 

1643 , 13 September . First Service was held in the warehouse belonging to the wine merchant Ambrosious in the Wijnstraat. De eerste eredienst werd gehouden in een pakhuis van de wijn-handelaar Ambrosius in de Wijnstraat
1643-1662 Rev. Alexander Petrie, minister Ds. Alexander Perie
1643 One of the four communion beakers presented by to the church by the Burgomasters of RotterdaM in 1643 Een van de vier avondmaalsbekers aangeboden door de Burgemeesters van Rotterdam in 1643
1658 The ancient chapel of St. Sebastian became available .

It was situated on the corner of the Meent and the Lombardstraat, untill it was demolished in 1911.

De voormalige kapel van St. Sebastiaan was beschikbaar.
De kapel stond op de hoek van de Meent en de Lombardstraat. Het gebouw werd gesloopt in 1911
St. Sebastianchapel.

Interior

Kapel van St.Sebastiaan.

Interieur.

1662-1689 Rev. John Ho(o)g, minister Ds. John Ho(o)g,
1676-1677 Rev. Robert MacWard, 2nd minister to assist Rev. Hoog. Ds. Robert MacWard, 2e predikant als assistent van Ds. Hoog.
1677-1694 . Rev.Robert Fleming sr. 2nd minister
He left Rotterdam on a visit to Londen where he died.
Ds. Robert Fleming sr, 2e predikant.
Hij ging naar Londen voor een bezoek en overleed aldaar.
1691-1713 . Rev. James Brown Ds. James Brown.
1695-1698 Rev. Robert Fleming jr., minister Ds. Robert Fleming jr.
1695 (December 13th) . Foundation stone was laid for a new church, by Andrew Kennedy, three year old son of Sir Andrew Kennedy, Lord Conservator of the Scots Privileges at Veere De eerste steen voor een nieuwe kerk werd gelegd door Andrew Kennedy, de 3-jaar oude zoon van Sir Andrew Kennedy, conservator van de stapelplaats Veere.
1697 (October 20th) First service in the new church which was situated on the south end of the street called the Schiedam-Dijk and vulgarily from the many Scots Inhabitants there: the Scots-Dijk De eerste dienst in de nieuwe kerk die lag aan het zuideinde van de Schiedamsedijk en die, omdat er veel Schotse bewoners waren, "Schotse dijk"genoemd werd.
Interior of the church

 

Het interieur van de kerk
1699-1723 . Rev. Thomas Hoog, minister, former minister of the Scots Church at Veere and nephew of John Hog. Ds. Thomas Hoog, voorheen predikant van de Schotse Kerk in Veere en neef van John Hog (zie boven)
1715-1735 Rev. Robert Black, minister Ds. Robert Black.
1725-1759 Rev. John Enslie, minister Ds. John Enslie.
1727 . Established a school for the poor children in John Lennox's house, who would teach them "reading, writing, arithmetic and singing the Psalms in the Scottish Language" Een school voor de armen kinderen van de kerk werd gevestigd in het huis van John Lennox. Hij zou onderwijzen het "lezen, schrijven, rekenen en het zingen van de Psalmen in de Schotse taal".
1728 The consistory bought a house ( Deaconry House) on the Schiedamse Dijk where they installed Lennox and his wife with the  children. De consistory kocht een pand aan de Schiedamsedijk waar John Lennox, zijn echtgenote en de kinderen hun intrek namen. De instelling kreeg de naam : Diaconiehuis"
1737-1764 Rev. Hugh Kennedy, minister Ds. Hugh Kennedy.
1760-1774 . Rev. William Walker. Ds. William Walker
1765-1770 . Rev. Archibald Smit Ds. Archibald Smith
1770-1796 . Rev. Alexander Layel Ds. Alexander Layer
1775-1779 . Rev.James Sommerville Ds. James Sommerville
1780-1795 . Rev.Alexander Scot Ds. Alexander Scot
1797-1801 Rev.James Low Ds. James Low
1801-1801 . Rev. Maurice Ritchie Ds. Maurice Ritchie
1802-1804 . Rev. Thomas Ross Ds. Thomas Ross
1803-1844 Rev. William MacPhail Ds. William MacPhail
1804-1807 . Rev. Alexander MacIntosh Ds. Alexander MacIntosh
1807-1829 Rev. James Anderson Ds. James Anderson
1815 . The Deaconry House was closed. Het Diaconiehuis werd gesloten.
1826-1839 . Rev. William Steven (writer of the book: The History of the Scottish Church, Rotterdam in 1832)

A click on the titlepage brings you to the PDF-file of the book)

Ds. William Steven

(Schrijver van het boek The Histopry of the Scottish Church, Rotterdam in 1832)

Klik op de titelpagina brengt u naar de PDF-file van het boek

1833 Baptism Bowl presented to the church in 1833 by Andrew Munro Doopvond eengeboden aan de kerk in 1833 door Andrew Munro
1839-1843 . Rev. Robert Fairweather Ds. Robert Fairweather

Link to page no. 2.